Thursday, January 26, 2012

Anatomy of a Decadent Salad

 
Today I made a whopper of a salad.


I started with lots of veggies.

{ cucumber, carrot, celery, 
mushroom, red bell pepper }


Then added some protein.
{ ham, boiled egg }


AND THEN I topped it off with my first attempt at skillet croutons. 

This salad was completely overwhelming. I would have been better off to make it 1/3 this size. Or smaller. And then have a little soup on the side. That would have been awesome... Live & learn!

Skillet Croutons
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

3 slices Texas Toast
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter

Cut each slice of bread into 16 cubes. Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in a skillet over low heat, then add the bread cubes and toss to coat. Toast the croutons in the skillet over low heat for about 10-12 minutes, adding 1 Tablespoon of butter every couple of minutes until you've used all 4 Tablespoons. (This will ensure all the croutons soak up the butter and toast nicely.)

Yeild: 48 croutons
Calorie content: 14 calories per crouton

{ Quote of the Day }

Me: (after Josh discovered and began devouring my delicious homemade croutons) Hey, you might have to start eating salad now.

Josh: No, I might have to start eating croutons.

No comments: