Thursday, March 8, 2012

Culinary Capers Ingredient of the Week: Basil

I think my first Culinary Capers challenge was a flop. Only one person besides me made something with poppy seeds. And that was Michelle TL, the die-hard participator. Alls I can say is...

Someone could have made this and it would have been awesome.

Moving on, no one can accuse Carrie of making a poor choice. Basil is one of my favorite fresh herbs (rosemary and dill are the other 2). And so far, the whole group seems excited to have an excuse to get their basil on.

I love me some pesto, but you know... Been there, blogged about that. So, for this challenge I went with an intriguing recipe I ran across a while back. It's Giada De Laurentiis' asparagus lasagna.

I've had sun-dried tomatoes on the brain lately, so this seemed like the perfect thing to make. For the "sauce" you pulse the basil with 2 jars of sun-dried tomatoes in a food processor until combined.
 

{I saw a cute food photo montage on this post over at Salad in a Jar, and was inspired to make a montage of my own!}

This was an interesting recipe.
It would have been better had I not tried to "cheat" and use oven ready lasagna noodles. 

{The top layer of noodles didn't get cooked. :(}

But other than that, I think I like it. It's very flavorful. I'll have to make it again sometime, using the correct noodle procedure.

No comments: