Friday, March 23, 2012

Holy Crap I Made an Omelet

And I did a good job too! I didn't think I could make an omelet...
 
But let's back up. The Culinary Capers ingredient of the week is mushrooms. I couldn't think of anything mushroom-y that I really had a taste for, except maybe a spinach and mushroom omelet. So that's what I made.


I started with some baby spinach and some mushrooms.



I sauteed the mushrooms in a tiny bit of olive oil until they looked like this.



I threw in the spinach.



And a few seconds later it turned into this.


I salt-and-peppered this stuff and put it in a little bowl. Then I went and walked on the treadmill. {I had eaten 2 s'more cups by this point, so I wasn't really that hungry.} Then a little while later I came back and made the omelet.
 

See, look! It didn't turn brown. It didn't break. I didn't freak out and turn it into scrambled eggs. It wasn't even raw on the inside.

Here are my secrets to omelet success:
  • I melted 3/4 Tablespoon of butter in a small non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Then, I turned the heat down to medium-low (or "4") and poured in 2 salt-and-peppered and beaten eggs.
  • Then I stood there and watched the action for a while. When parts of the egg would start to look cooked, I would jostle that part a little bit with a rubber spatula. 
  • Right before it was time to put the stuff on and fold the egg part over, I tilted the pan so that the little bit of remaining raw runny egg was on the side of the circle that was going to stay on the bottom (still touching the pan). I figured it was more likely to finish cooking that way.

BTW, there's mozzarella and goat cheese in there too.
Pretty good.

No comments: