Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fajitas

I am still very much enjoying Lisa Fain's The Homesick Texan Cookbook. {Even though her recipes cause me to make epic messes in my kitchen.}


Yesterday I made 2 batches of tortillas {that's 16 tortillas}. You can see my most favorite kitchen tool in the picture. My thin metal spatula. Great for flipping tortillas, and so many other things.


For the first batch I used all flour, like the recipe says. But for the second batch I substituted 2/3 cup of the 2 cups of flour called for with masa. I was rather nervous about taking this liberty, but those tortillas turned out even better than the all-flour. They tasted better (if you like that corn flavor) and were easier to handle during the initial cooking process. Josh wants me to keep pushing the limit of how much "corn" I can add before they won't fold without breaking anymore. 

I also turned the rest of my jalapeno pinto beans into refried beans. My new favorite thing to eat is a homemade tortilla smeared with refried beans, sprinkled with a little cheese, and rolled up. That's what I had for lunch. Because I'm a peasant.

I'm a peasant, but Josh is a king because he commutes to work every day to pay for my groceries. So for dinner I made fajitas.

I had no patience for taking pictures of the process until I was half drunk (3 quarters drunk?) on my grapefruit margarita and packing up leftovers for Josh's lunch.

{Bell peppers and onions.}

{Steak.}
  
{Toppings.}

{Fajita, red chile rice, cupcake.}
    
{My first attempt at a fancy margarita. A margarita made with fresh-squeezed juice, that is. Lime juice and grapefruit juice in this one.}


{King Josh and Queen Lux.} 

This was my first time to make fajitas, and they were great. But I don't want you to think that everything I make comes out good. My journey of Tex-Mex self-discovery has been full of trial and error. I made some kinda yucky salsa the other day. I also attempted Homesick Texan's veveeta-less chile con queso, which was a touch awful. Oh, and I accidentally dehydrated some wonderful, tender pork carnitas while trying to "keep them warm." Sad.

No comments: