Monday, December 3, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving is our holiday.


This year we hosted it at our house for the fourth time, and we think we knocked it out of the park.

Here is a breakdown of what I did to prepare:

On Sunday and Monday I cleaned a lot.

On Tuesday I made cornbread for the dressing, chopped up some pecans for the dressing and the pecan pie, made a birthday cake, and celebrated my mom's birthday.

On Wednesday (Thanksgiving Eve) I made pie crust, assembled and baked a pecan pie, made rolls up to the point of the second rise then put them in the freezer, assembled dressing and corn-and-wild rice casserole, made deviled eggs, and did some things to help Josh prepare to grill the turkey. Whew!

On Thanksgiving morning I baked all the stuff I had put together, made mashed potatoes, and made gravy from the turkey drippings. 

My cooking schedule stuck to the fridge.

Mom provided cranberry salad, green salad, pumpkin pie, and sweet potatoes. 

Last year, we named our Thanksgiving turkey "Fowl Roker," because we got the recipe from Al Roker's grilling cookbook. We named this year's turkey "Fowl Jarreau," but then we sort of renamed it "Fowl Gore" at the end when the turkey's leg fell off and I said, "That's gory."

Anyway, it was a perfect day. The house looked good, I looked good, and I even had fun. 

After our guests left I slept for 2 hours then got up and started cleaning again. Josh watched YouTube videos. I heard "Gangnam Style" probably 3 times as I washed dishes. Then the both of us sat around and watched random music videos on YouTube. 

This one was by far the most awesome:

 
Well, on to Christmas.
We, as a couple, suck at Christmas.

No comments: