Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wednesday Dinner

Today I made a quiche and an easy apple dessert. Here's the quiche before hitting the oven ...





... And here it is fully cooked with some grapes on the side. (You can't have quiche without grapes.) I made salads too.



Leftovers! So, this was my first quiche ever, and I think it turned out really well. Lately I've been trying recipes from Kraft's website, and I'm having really good luck with them. (Of course I modify the heck out of them, but you know.) One day, I'm going to make this with a homemade crust. So here's the Betsified version of the recipe:

Spinach & Mushroom Quiche

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups sliced "Baby Bella" mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup light mayo
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 (9 inch) frozen pie crust, thawed
3 slices bacon

Prep

  • Heat oven to 375. In a medium skillet, cook bacon. Allow bacon to cool, then tear into bits. Meanwhile, reserve a small amount of bacon grease in pan. Add onions and mushrooms; cook until tender. Stir in spinach and remove from heat.
  • In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, and mayo with a whisk until well blended. Stir in spinach mixture, cheese, salt, and a little bit of freshly ground pepper; pour into crust. Top with bacon pieces.
  • Bake 50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown. Cover edge of crust with strips of foil after first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to avoid over-browning.

And now for dessert!



I wanted something that involved baked apples and not a ton of effort, so I went to my trusty BHG cookbook and found this simple-looking recipe called "Fruit Crisp". Before going into the oven ...





... And after being baked and partially devoured.

Fruit Crisp

Ingredients

5 cups sliced, peeled cooking apples, pears, peaches, or apricots, or frozen unsweetened peach slices (I used "Honey Crisp" apples for this one.)
2 to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar (I'm not convinced this part is really necessary.)
1/2 cup regular rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
a teeny bit of nutmeg (1/8 teaspoon or less)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped nuts or coconut (I used pecans.)
Vanilla ice cream

Prep

  • For fruit filling, thaw fruit if frozen. Do not drain. Place fruit in a 2-quart square baking dish. Stir in the granulated sugar.
  • For topping, in a medium bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the nuts. Sprinkle topping over fruit.
  • Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes (40 minutes for thawed fruit) or until fruit is tender and topping is golden. If desired, serve warm with ice cream.

You've gotta serve it with ice cream! I like mine in a little bowl on the side so that it doesn't melt. I recently discovered that the store-brand vanilla is my favorite. Who knew?

2 comments:

Robiana said...

That quiche was the first one I ever made! It went well aw well! :)

Betsey said...

That was fast!