Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How to Dredge Without Making a Big Mess

Last night I was making Almond-Crusted Chicken Tenders, and it occurred to me that I should do a blog post explaining my special dredging technique. 


I don't use my hands, because that can get icky fast. So can using tongs. Unless you use two pairs of tongs: one pair that touches the wet stuff, and one pair that touches the dry stuff. 

First, using the "wet tongs", I pick up a piece of meat (in this case, a chicken tender). I dunk the chicken tender into the wet stuff (in this case, egg). Then, still using the wet tongs, I transfer the chicken to a pie plate full of the dry stuff (in this case, a mixture of ground almonds, a little flour, some spices, and a tiny bit of olive oil). As I'm transferring, I make sure not to let the wet tongs touch any of the dry stuff. Then I set the wet tongs aside. Next, I take a medium spoon and use it to pile a bunch of the dry stuff on top of the chicken tender. Then I pat it down, turn it around, and basically do all of the dry dredging with the spoon. Then, I take my "dry tongs" and use them to pick up the meat, shake off the excess, and transfer that bad boy to wherever it's going. (A holding area, or in this case, a metal rack coated with cooking spray.) 

And there you have it! All of your utensils stay clean and in working order (rather than accumulating that annoying dredgy build-up).

Dredging station.



Be sure to use metal tongs. They are much easier to use than tongs that are coated in plastic or whatever.


Anyway, this recipe is great. My mom discovered it, of course. 
{She has a very special knack for discovering good recipes.}

I like to serve these tenders with honey mustard dipping sauce.


I just put some honey and some spicy brown mustard in a bowl and whisk them together.

~

Recipe Notes:
  • Use 2 eggs instead of 4 egg whites. In this case, using egg whites only would be a waste of eggs.
  • I like to make the breading (dry stuff) times 1.5, because it doesn't really make enough otherwise. If you make it as written, you'll have enough breading to cover 6 tenders, 7 tops.

No comments: